Saturday, May 27, 2023

#52Ancestors, Week 21: Brick Wall - Thomas Green's parents


I have many brick walls.  I think any genealogist does.  Eventually, records run out, family histories come up short...or you're really lucky and you are able to track yourself back to Genghis Khan.  I've been working on this particular brick wall for several years, and every time I think I've found something that I am certain will shed a little light...it doesn't. I will do my best to describe said wall and the ways in which I have tried to go over, around, under, and through it.

Thomas Green.  He is my 3x great grandfather and a fairly interesting individual.  He was born in Kentucky in 1826/1827 but spent the majority of his life in southern Illinois.  He served in the 11th Illinois Infantry during the American Civil War and was involved in the capture of Forts Henry, Donelson, and Vicksburg.  After the war, he and his first wife (my 3x great grandmother) divorced. Thomas went on to marry a young widow and have an additional four children.  He died in 1898 and was buried in Anna Cemetery in Anna, IL.  The only part of his life I don't know much about is his childhood...specifically, HIS PARENTS!  

Let's look at all the typical ways one can determine parents:

1. Census Data - Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a definitive 1850 census for Thomas, and anything prior to that only lists head of household.   Strike one. (Later census records indicated that Thomas's father was born in New York.  Thomas's mother was born in either Rhode Island or Ohio.  You try searching the surname Green in New York, and let me know how you do.)

2. Marriage records - I have not found an official marriage record for Thomas Green and Ann Elizabeth Echols.  The year of their marriage (1854) is mentioned in a biography of Ann's brother, Thomas Benton Echols, and is acknowledged in Thomas's Civil War Pension file.  Neither lists his parents. Strike two.

3. Death records - I have three death records for Thomas: an Illinois, Select Deaths Index, a death certificate, and an application for a headstone for Civil War veterans.  Even on the death certificate, there is nothing requesting the names of his parents. Strike three.

4.  Obituary - Found it.  No parents listed, and we're all out of strikes anyway.

Remember that Civil War Pension file I mentioned?  It's over 100 pages of depositions, interviews, documents, and other phenomenal genealogical information, but do you think there is a single mention of Thomas's parents?  That's a big NOPE

It does, however, mention a sister!  Hallelujah!  Now we're getting somewhere!  ...or so I thought.  Thomas's sister was named Louisiana, and she was born in 1819 in Ohio.  She died in Rock Island, Illinois, in 1912.  I haven't been able to locate a death certificate for her, although I have asked my sister (who lives in the area) to stop by the courthouse and see what she can find.  (I'll keep you posted.)  I did locate a very length obituary for Louisiana, but alas, her parents were not revealed. 

I've tried to piece together what I have.  Louisiana in 1819 in Ohio, Thomas in 1826/1827 in Kentucky.  Both children settled in Illinois, albeit very different areas of the state.  I wanted to believe that this narrowed my search, but I also had to take into consideration when/where the parents met and were married...which was a tall order when you consider that it could have been anywhere between New York and Ohio... 

Maybe my sister will get to the courthouse, and Louisiana's death certificate will reveal all.  Maybe a marriage for Thomas and Ann will materialize down in Pulaski County, Illinois, but I'm not holding my breath.  Maybe I'll just have a séance and hope that asking for Thomas and Louisiana Green's parents rings a bell somewhere in the afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week18 Love and Marriage and Divorce and Love and Marriage

My Grandpa Clint Lowe was born to city dwellers in Sioux City, Iowa in January 1916.  My Grandma Margaret (nee Winkel) Lowe was born 9 month...