Tuesday, August 8, 2023

#52Ancestors #Week32 - Family Reunion




 I received a very special gift two weeks ago when Hubz and I went to Wisconsin for his family's "Christmas in July." We try to see both of our families on some of these weekends as our mothers were from the same neck of the woods, and we can usually pull it off. One of my aunts was out of town, but we saw the other. We came home with a large and enormously heavy afghan, crocheted probably mid-1970's by my great-grandma. I remember her fairly well, all 5' nothing and gravelly voiced.  Devout Catholic, devoted mother and grandmother, and cooking still talked about 40 years after her death. It's beautiful, and I will treasure it by using it, NOT hiding it away.  Currently, my cat loves it, too.

My great-grandparents used to host family reunions in a city park, and I only vaguely remember those. I was quite small, and the only picture I have is one in which they were honored by their children for their 50th anniversary, which was in 1973. They left quite the legacy in their 7 children, 27 grandchildren and great-grandchildren still coming for several years after they were gone.

In the late 1990's, we had a reunion again, and my grandma, as well as her aunt (my great-gram's youngest sister) were the matriarchs at that party, although Cousin Mike stole the show with his fire truck, giving rides to all. What I remember most about that party, though, was telling my entire extended family how much they mean to me, to us, to each other. I didn't do this of my own volition.

My Aunt Polly, who I have described for lack of a better adjective as "caffeinated," approached me and insisted that Right That Second I get up on top of the nearest picnic table. She and her sisters (there were 5 of them once) used to dance and put on homemade "shows" before television came, but I am not the family extrovert, but wouldn't dream of saying "no" to Aunt Polly. Up I went. What she had me do was give her speech. She was only in her early 70's at the time, but I was 30 and even though I'm generally quiet, I can still yell. She relayed the message, through me, about how very loved and treasured we all are. I'd get on that table again This Minute. God Bless, Aunt Polly. And Gram, too.

Actual Photo of Aunt Polly relaying her speech to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...