Saturday, January 28, 2023

The Photo

It’s so interesting, how time goes by so quickly.  I’ve had to do some math to complete this post, and I believe I’ve had this photo for 42 years.  I’ve made so little progress in identifying the individuals in it that you’ll be shocked that 4 decades have transpired.  I’ve lost track of how many cousins I’ve contacted, but let’s try:  including my dad, my aunt, their cousin, and about 1/2 a dozen distant cousins, I’d hoped that maybe one or two of them would have some answers, but so far it is only the parents in the center, my great grandmother Elsie (bottom row 2nd from right) and her brother Gerrit who are identified. 



Just by virtue of some other searching, not by any diligence in contacting relatives or using any tried and true research skills, I happened across both of the following photos, one by an ancestry user and one uploaded to Find a Grave from the public domain.  It was only after a few days of having saved the 2nd photo of great aunt Gert and her husband that I saw what is hanging on the wall above them.  42 years later, is this a lead?





I’m still trying to identify 8 siblings, but I have renewed hope!  And a few outgoing messages to two more distant cousins 😂 Are you one, dear reader? #tenkley #tenclay #dutch #netherlands #northdakota #iowa #52ancestors

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...