Saturday, March 25, 2023

#52Ancestors #Week12 - Memberships

Remembering my Grandpa Clinton Lowe usually brings a big smile to my face.  He enjoyed playing the piano and the guitar (he joined a group of performing senior citizens in his later years), and his crushing hugs and gruff "You Know What?" meant "I love you!"  

I don't know a great deal about his foundational years beyond that his family was also musical and that it was a hard time for his parents, during the Depression, although Grandpa's dad had a good job with the railroad.  I am delighted to know, however, how Grandpa met Grandma!  


At some point during high school, Grandpa joined the Order of deMolay, a fraternal order focused on the training up of boys/young men to be upstanding citizens. The group was formed in 1919 in Kansas City, so in 1930's Sioux City, Iowa, I have to guess that it may have been quite popular.  Noted members of this group include Walt Disney and John Steinbeck. As part of his activities with this group, he made the acquaintance of one David Winkel, about a year older than himself.  I'm not sure how long they may have known each other or what activities they enjoyed as members (Grandpa was never much of an outdoorsman in my experience, except for his passion for golf), but Dave invited Clint to come home to supper with him at one point, and when they arrived at the Winkel home, Clint met Dave's pretty little sister, Margaret.  And the rest, as they say, is history. They married at 18.

I have Grandpa's membership card from 1937, which was a few years after they married, and the group is open to young men until they are 21.  I have no idea if he stayed on as a mentor, but as World War II was getting started shortly thereafter, I think he must not have. I've not heard of this organization otherwise, although a quick Google search indicates it is still active.

An interesting tidbit about Grandpa that has led me to wonder who else in my family belonged to fraternal organizations or other groups?


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...