Sunday, May 7, 2023

#52Ancestors #Week19 - Bald!

Bald, Bald Bald!  Bald as a ping pong ball! - Free to Be You and Me, 1977

A few anecdotes on baldness, courtesy of my family (or shall I say at the expense of my family?) I suppose it depends on how you view baldness!

On my mother's side, the men had just gorgeous hair.  Grandpa had thick black waves, only turning salt and pepper late in his nearly 96 years.

My dad's side, on the other hand, so many shiny domes!  My dad, his dad, and most especially, Grandma's dad, are and were well-known for their shine. Thankfully, they had the head for it, as is apparently said!

My babies! Oh, my sweet, sweet babies!  All bald, with the perfect new-baby smell. My eldest kept her sweet baby look the longest. I did have a friend who had her little girl in for a HAIRCUT at 4 months old!  I'm sure that's more common than I think, but not in our genetic pool!

And then there's me! I badly wanted to shave my head at 40, but never did. I don't want to anymore but chalk it up to missed opportunity. Then, when I had breast cancer 2 years ago and chemo was still an unknown possibility, my aunt told me "You seem more upset about losing your hair than you were about losing your breasts!" In the end I didn't lose either, but my hair wasn't trying to kill me!

My husband, too, and my son (a namesake to the above-mentioned great grandfather).  And my husband's bald eagle tattoo, if he's to be included as a member of the family, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...