Sunday, October 22, 2023

#52Ancestors, Week 42: Friends (and In-Laws)

When my husband and I got engaged, my mother was interested in what I can only describe as 'hanging out' with my husband's parents.  I found it odd, but my mom explained that, when she was growing up, her Pearson and Swanson grandparents regularly spent time with each other.  As unusual as I think it would seem today, my Pearson and Swanson great grandparents became fast friends after their children married, as evidenced by more than a few pictures.

My grandparents, Marilyn Swanson and Jerry Pearson, married June 12, 1954.  At the time of their marriage, my Swanson great grandparents resided at 10756 Ave. G in Chicago.  My Pearson great grandparents were literally less than a 5-minute walk away at 10743 Ave. J.  They made the walk regularly, visiting at one household or the other. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the picture below was taken in Great Grandma Thelma/Great Grandpa Oscar Swanson's dining room.


Starting in the back left corner and moving clockwise, we have Grandma Marilyn, my Aunt Linnea, Grandpa Jerry, Great Grandma Thelma (Swanson), Great Grandpa Ben (Pearson), Don Swanson (Marilyn's brother), and Great Grandma Lena (Pearson). I imagine Great Grandpa Oscar was taking the picture.  Based on Aunt Linnea's age, I would guess this photo to be from 1957/1958.

I have countless photos of parties and fishing expeditions that include both sets of great grandparents.  Rather than the stereotypical in-laws of today's sitcoms, Thelma, Lena, Ben, and Oscar legitimately enjoyed each other's company.  


The address plate in this photo seems to say 10733. I'd have to doublecheck with my mother, but this is likely outside my Pearson great grandparents' place.  Left to right: Oscar and Thelma Swanson and Lena and Ben Pearson - in-laws and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...