Saturday, October 21, 2023

#52Ancestors #Week42 - Friends, Frenemies and Relatives

 This week's friendship theme wouldn't perhaps be as interesting if I simply lauded Cuzzin Rachel again? I could, since as the recipient of my "theories" and real-life venting, she has more than earned her Gold Star (teacher nod, Rachel!) 

However, the last couple of decades-plus since the arrival of the internet have contributed to the building of a few, sometimes colorful relationships. Many years ago, I was able to obtain some information on the descendants of my Great Grandfather Gus' siblings by making the acquaintance of my (distant) cousin Rick, grandson of Gus' older sister. More recently, I received a small box of McClain family photos from another equally distant cousin, a descendant of Great Grandma Lulu's (Mrs. Gus) sister. Both of these relatives are from the area around Sioux City, Iowa. I don't know yet if I'm regionally fortunate, but I suppose this could continue.

As an extension of our Pearson line, far less help has been had. Gramps certainly didn't have a great deal to say about his forbears, and even less in the way of memorabilia (a lone photo), and Rachel and I have looked exhaustively for likely contacts. The only relative I have successfully reached (by phone) is the son of my grandma's first cousin. The two women had been in touch for most of their lives, but that correspondence is lost to me. The cousin's son, R, has been less than forthcoming about much in relation to our family, and after a second phone call I had to make the informed decision to block his number! Suffice to say, odd.

And then there is a non-relative, or two. The woman Rachel wrote about recently that gave her a tour of the old Pearson family farm has made herself available for many a question or string of emails. She was also part of documenting all cemeteries in the county and has been recommended more than a few times during calls to the local government offices. I suppose she has been invaluable, if a bit bristly at times.

Over several decades of research, there are a few people that deserve honorable mention but whose names have been forgotten: countless county staff, librarians, cemetery sextons and church staff. Most have been delightful and happy to assist, a few have been perhaps, less than pleasant?  I am currently waiting for a response from a certain historical society in Virginia, which seems to have received my deposit to begin research and then ghosted me. While volunteers are often older and this is a rural area where I am having trouble reaching anyone else, it's unlikely my contact there will be making the "Friend" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...