Sunday, January 14, 2024

2024 #52Ancestors #Week3 - Favorite Photo


While the photo that immediately came to mind is not available to me, the photo above has always been precious to me.  Taken sometime in 1918 or early 1919, my Grandma is about 2 years old here.  There are several photos of the four siblings and their parents, but this one of just the children is quite sweet.  

Margaret, age 2, is quite serious, and I love her round little face. I have a picture of myself at about this age, and while my hair wasn’t nearly as tidy, the resemblance is undeniable.  I also have wondered it she kept the tiny bracelet, which has been lost to time.

David, age about 4 1/2 in this photo, appears to be struggling to stand still. I love that his head is slightly cocked, as if he’s been reprimanded a time or two and is trying so hard to stand ramrod straight. 

Dick, age 6, seems to be taking his role very seriously.  Not yet old enough for long pants, he nevertheless is wearing what is likely his father’s pin in his suit jacket. He surely had been asked to help his younger siblings understand that they needed to be still.

Dorothy, nearly 8 years old, is the only one with a bit of a smile on her face. I imagine her pretty plaid dress in some blue shade indicating her Dutch heritage, but am more curious to know if her mother or aunts made the lace trim.  Her wispy curly hair has been brushed almost straight, the rest died back in her stylish oversized bow.

I’m going to need to take a magnifying glass to the original, but it appears Margaret and Dorothy might be wearing matching necklaces.  Sisterhood, brotherhood and childhood, it’s just such a sweet photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...