Tuesday, April 9, 2024

2024 #52Ancestors #Week14 Recipes or Pancakes


I have some favorite memories around meals with the entire family, rather than favorite recipes.  Let's talk pancakes. 

My memories consist of innumerable Sunday mornings of the entire family (grandparents, aunt and uncle and cousins included) going to Perkins for pancakes. They had an item called "Fancy Pants" for children, pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. For those that remember Perkins in the 70's, they also had a wishing well near the entrance with small toys wrapped in cellophane to choose from.

One of my favorite memories was sitting across from Grandpa on another family breakfast morning and being in awe of his massive pile of blueberry pancakes. This was at the now defunct Lincoln Del.

Another popular location for us was the Original Pancake House which served 49er Flapjacks (my brother's go-to) and a legendary dish called The Apple Pancake. Most people know them as Dutch Babies, but I didn't know this term then, but I devoured several, despite adults' urging to split them with someone. Apple cinnamon goodness! Just last week I found that this place still exists and will have to make a sojourn.  For old time's sake, and the carbs. I was last there with Grandpa shortly before his passing over 20 years ago.

We also used to frequent the Pannekoeken Huis,.with its lovely Dutch name and kitsch decor, but I don't have any more specific memory of the place. 

For many years now, my husband has made a large pan full of Dutch baby on special occasions, mostly Christmas and birthdays. I don't know that we've made an apple cinnamon version, but it's on the list now. We've also discovered the popular Dutch treat stroopwafels, and definitely look forward to trying a fresh one sometime. My husband was in Amsterdam briefly while in the service, but the Netherlands remains on my bucket list.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 #52Ancestors #Week20 Taking Care of Business

I've written previously about the shoemaking of my Dutch immigrant great-great grandfather, and of Peter Winkel's involvement in the...